Reprinted with permission by Children’s Health Environmental Coalition (CHEC). CHEC is a national nonprofit organization working to educate parents and others about preventable health and environmental problems caused by exposure to toxic substances.
SEE YOUR DOCTOR REGULARLY
- Schedule prenatal check-ups.
- If you, or your partner, work with toxic materials, discuss possible harmful exposures.
- Review alternative remedies and complimentary medicines.
BREATHE CLEAN AIR
- Don’t smoke and avoid exposure to other sources of smoke.
- Ventilate your home well by opening windows daily, except on high ozone days.
- Fix leaks and moisture problems to control mold growth.
- Properly install and maintain combustion appliances; install carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
- Test for radon gas.
- Stay away from gas fumes; don’t pump your own gas.