Natural Living Articles - Essential Oils
How to Use Essential Oils
Sprays & spritzes
- Avoid using plastic bottles as essential oils are powerful and can corrode plastic
- Add 3-4 drops of oil per ounce of purified water and use as a room, body or face freshener
- Add 4-5 drops of essential oil to the bathwater just before getting in to soak and luxuriate
- Add 3-4 drops of essential oil to a footbath and soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir 4-5 drops of essential oil into a glass bowl of water, dip a facecloth in, wring, and apply to affected area. Use hot compresses for arthritis, muscle pain and menstrual cramps, cold compresses for bruises, tension and headaches
- Add 3-6 drops of essential oil to glass bowl of steaming water, lean over the bowl, drape towel over head to block steam in and inhale slowly and deeply. Good for colds, flu, sinus and even facials
- Add 3-6 drops of essential oil to diffuser filled with water, light candle in bottom and enjoy the scent released
- Add 3 - 6 drops of essential oil to 1 tbsp of high quality carrier oil, such as jojoba oil or sweet almond oil.
- Carriers are used to blend essential oils for a variety of purposes. Some of the ways you may want to blend your aromatherapy mixes include: massage oil, bath oil, body oil, hand soap, shower gel, lotion, linen spray or room spritzer. When choosing carriers, it is well worth it to choose quality. When possible, get organic and if using oils, always get cold-pressed as it means that no heat or solvents have been used in the extraction process (which can interfere with the quality and even properties of the oil). Never use mineral oil for body or massage oil as the molecules are too large, creating a barrier between the skin and the environment. This is counterproductive when using essential oils. Good choices of carrier oils are Sweet Almond Oil and Jojoba Oil.